National Park Service, Statue of Liberty National Monument
Liberty Island NJ 10004
Ellis Island has grown over the years. The original, natural island of 3.3 acres, shown in dark green on this map, was built up with landfill between 1890 and 1892 to build the new immigration station. As the station's needs expanded, so did the island. After the existing Main Building was opened in 1900, more landfill was added to the left side of the ferry slip. Most of this landfill came from the excavation of the New York City subway tunnels. This land was used for the complex of hospitals built to treat immigrants who failed their medical inspections. Today, the areas to the left of the ferry slip are not open to the public, since the buildings and the grounds have not been restored.
Hide this record?
Make visible this record?